I'm surprised they haven't gone for that title yet. Just another big budget ridiculous trashing fest disguised as a modern action movie. The first one will forever be the magical one. They tried to play the theme a few times, but that just doesn't work if nothing else feels like the first movie.
I saw a "40 90s cartoon intros in Swedish" plus "another 30" in the recommended sidebar on youtube, and some of my most peculiar childhood memories popped up. Here's a list of things I recall the most vividly, generally with a mix of fascination, mystery, and fear:
- Windwagon Smith by Disney. Hauntingly beautiful.
- What's opera, Doc? aka Kill the wabbit, kill the wabbit! The second half simply scared the crap out of me.
- Asterix vs Caesar, when Asterix almost drowns in the basement.
- Superman, the Mummy Strikes! Brilliant mummy scare.
- Dunderklumpen. I never understood any of it, but I loved the word "dunderklumpen". I think I have it mixed up with a clip from something similar where they did some magic with perforated cylinders and scarfs.
- Skrotnisse. Freaky Swedish series with dolls, I still don't know how it ends. "Ture Björkman blir apa." The Dark Eye is nothing compared to this.
- The Trap Door. Never understood any of it, didn't scare me, but I always wanted more of that skull. Just watched some of it, I remember it a bit differently.
EDIT 2016-08-20: Added The Trap Door. And no more Banshee... At least we got one decent fight at the end.